Supermarket and Retailer (Africa) (Pty) Ltd Privacy Notice
Your privacy is critically important to us we are committed to handling your personal information with the utmost respect and care. By closely following the guidelines and standards of the POPI Act we not only comply with the law but also ensure that your data is secure and safe.
If you have questions about deleting or correcting your personal data please contact our administrative office.
It is Supermarket and Retailer (Africa) (Pty) Ltd policy to respect your privacy regarding any information we may collect while operating our websites.
We reserve the right to update this notice.
Who we are:
We are a business to business media platform that was founded in 1955 as the “General Dealer” magazine. We are a trusted source of retail information and have being informing and uplifting the supermarket retail industry with comprehensive, insightful and useful articles that have been researched by experienced journalists. We deep dive into all subjects that are associated with the retail industry.
As a media company we have kept up with technology and have an extensive website that delivers industry news, new products and an equipment and services Buyers Guide. We went digital with our magazine in 2016 and had our final print edition in May 2019. Delivery of fantastic content to our subscribers has been our mission since the day of inception. With that in mind we will always deliver phenomenal content which means our readers are always engaged and look forward to what we report on next.
Producing an industry leading media platform, no matter what format it is delivered in, is of paramount importance to us and our advertisers because they are seen as valuable by association. Google agrees with this. We have been updating our website nearly every week day since 1996 (25 years) with valuable content on supermarket retail. There is no other South African website that can boast that.
The type of personal information we collect:
We currently collect and process the following information, including but not limited to:
- Client names;
- Email details;
- VAT Numbers;
- Company registration numbers;
- Banking Details;
How we get the personal information and what we use it for:
Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you for one of the following reasons:
- Contractual obligations;
- Payment collection purposes;
- Marketing Purposes;
We also receive personal information indirectly, from the following sources in the following scenarios:
- Various business directories
- Marketing campaigns
- Public domains
We may share this information with:
- Banking Institutions;
- SARS- verification purposes;
When will we process your personal information:
In terms of Section 11 of the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI), the justification ground which we base our processing on consist out of the following:
- The data subject or a competent person where the data subject is a child consentsto the processing. Kindly note that you have the right to withdraw your consent;
- The processing is necessaryto carry out actions for the conclusion or performance of a contract to which the data subject is a party;
- The processing complies with an obligationimposed by law on the business;
- The processing protects a legitimateinterest of the data subject;
- The processing is necessary for the proper performance of a public law duty by the business;
- The processing is necessary for pursuing the legitimate interestsof the business or of a third party to whom the information is supplied.
How we store your personal information:
Your information is securely stored: on our system and at our premises.
We keep your information according to our data retention policy. We will then dispose your information according to our data destruction policy.
Your data protection rights:
- You are entitled to access your personal data by sending a written request to
- You may also request us to correct or supplement any of your personal data which we will undertake as soon as practicable.
- Request the destruction of your personal data. We will consider your request in light of any other laws or regulations prohibiting us from destroying your personal data.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
Name: Supermarket and Retailer (Africa)
Address: P O Box 46066, Orange Grove, 2119
Phone Number: 011-728-7006
How to complain:
Should you believe that Supermarket and Retailer (Africa) has utilised your personal information contrary to Applicable Laws, you undertake to first attempt to resolve any concerns with Supermarket and Retailer (Africa). If you are not satisfied with such process, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Regulator, using the contact details listed below.
The Information Regulator (South Africa)
JD House, 27 Stiemens Street,
Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2001
P.O Box 31533
Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2017